Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Thoughts and Theories on the Steven Universe Movie🌟

        I love Steven Universe and it's one of my favourite shows. It helped me realize how relationships are very important and can deeply impact people. It also taught me about the value of friendship and being nice to others. In my previous post I implied that I was a fan of Steven Universe by saying that I drew Steven. If anything it was more of my interpretation of what a fusion between Steven and Amethyst would look like. With that being said, I am very excited for the Steven Universe movie! If you haven't seen the trailer yet I high recommend that you watch it!


The movie is premiering on September 2nd, 2019, don't miss it! 

        Now that you're all caught up if you haven't seen it already, let's get into my thoughts and theories. Before you continue, please note that while none of my theories are confirmed, there are *POTENTIAL SPOILERS* I will reveal knowledge about the characters that were already previously revealed. If you are not caught up with latest Steven Universe episodes, I highly recommend that you stop reading this blog post.

Steven's Character Design

Image result for steven universe movie its a true kind of love        With the release of the trailer, a new character design for Steven has been revealed! Our Steven finally has a neck! And a jacket! This is a common thought in the fandom, but his character design is very reminiscent of the Diamonds. The blue represents Blue Diamond, the Yellow is Yellow Diamond, The Pink is Pink Diamond/Rose and the white is White Diamond. Not only did our Steven get a new wardrobe, but he seemingly got older! His voice has gotten deeper and he also got taller. I'm sure Steven's voice actor Zach Callison is glad he can play Steven in a lower octave now, as I'm sure his previous voice was pretty tough to do! I personally love this redesign. I love the jacket especially! I would love it if Cartoon Network or the Crewniverse were to release this jacket as merch. I would happily buy it!
        Overall, his redesign is great. While I'm not a fan of some of the other redesigns on the show such as Peridot and Lapis, as I feel like they look too much like anime references, I'm in love with this new design. The bomber jacket also makes him seem older.


Who is the antagonist?

        Personally, I don't have a single clue. She seems to be a new character who's animation was inspired by the rubber-hose style of animating characters, like how Popeye's wife Olive Oyl is animated. It's already a joke in the fandom that she looked like XJ-9 from My Life As a Teenage Robot, but as to who she really is, it seems like no one really knows. 

Related image
        Some say that she is actually Rose/Pink Diamond, or is related to her in some way. While it's been established that gems, or at least Diamonds, can change their gem placements, I don't think they can change their gem shapes. However, I do remember a while ago when the new Steven Universe theme song came out, there's a scene of Rose looking quite ominous. I remember hearing that Rebecca Sugars said that Rose "Isn't what she seems". Or something around those lines. Perhaps this could be a simple reference to something, maybe an anime opening, but that's all I can think of.  Another theory is that she is Morganite. The owner of Rhodonite , one of the Off-Color gems on Home World. I will elaborate more on this theory in the "What is the song about" category. 

What is the plot about?

        In the trailer it seems like the antagonist is attempting to finish where the Diamonds left off seeing as she is using a drill to destroy the Earth. This implies that the antagonist may have more power than the Diamonds. It seems as if she is trying to complete the gem colony, but she needs to destroy all organic life from Earth in order to get that done. If I had to guess, perhaps the Diamonds may have been shattered or bubbled. 

What is the song about?

Image result for steven universe movie
        In the trailer, there is a song that Garnet is singing in the background. The song is called "A true kind of love". Which is available for listening on Spotify. This could be another arc about Ruby and Sapphire, or maybe Garnet is showing the antagonist what real love is, as presumably the antagonist has a more twisted form of "Love". Perhaps her "love" is just forwarding the progress for Home World because she "loves" Home World. Maybe Ruby and Sapphire are attempting to show the antagonist what "love" really is.
Related image
        Elaborating a little on the antagonist being Morganite, perhaps Garnet is singing the song to the antagonist, showing that fusion is common amongst all the Crystal Gems. It's something that they enjoy doing and it makes them feel stronger and safer with each other. Maybe the Rhodonite fusion gets perfected. Rhodonite's current character design implies that she never unfused since the first time she fused. When Garnet was first formed, her design also looked similar to Rhodonite, in the sense that she looked very mixed and matched. She had chunks of Ruby and Sapphire scattered all over her and she looked a lot like a less refined version of current Garnet. Since Garnet fused and unfused over time, she perfected her form and now we have the beautiful and amazing Garnet we have now!

        We can only guess what happens in the movie. We'll just have to wait until September 2nd the find out what really happens! ✨


No comments:

Post a Comment